Monday, March 30, 2009

Cynthia Fong - El Cerrito High School

It is surprising that people feel the Ivy League Connection is not a necessity. I feel that it has shaped me as a student today and I would love to see the Ivy League Connection grow and expand into other school districts as well.

The Ivy League Connection helps students that try hard in our school district. Dedicated school counselors seek out these students and provide them with this opportunity. The students that get to go to the East Coast come back with the best stories and experiences, and they share them with their fellow classmates like I have done. We inspire our classmates to work hard and contact their counselors so that they will also have the opportunity to get into the Ivy League Connection.

The Ivy League Connection has showed me the possibilities available to students like me. Before going to the University of Pennsylvania last summer, I was only thinking about applying to UC's. I was one of those stereotypical California high school students that wanted to stay in California. No way was I going to go to the East Coast, where the schools are expensive and the weather is always changing. However, after going to the University of Pennsylvania and spending time on the campus, I got to explore the area for myself and I learned that I loved the hot weather. I loved the people and to be honest, I loved the distance. Being away from my family allowed me to learn more about myself and to meet more people. It was a great experience and it definitely would not have happened if it was not for the Ivy League Connection.

The Ivy League Connection is important to me because it has opened my eyes and the eyes of many of my classmates. It is true that I was only considering UC's, but after going to the University of Pennsylvania, I will definitely consider colleges on the East Coast. This summer, I was provided with the oppurtunity to go to Brown for three weeks and I am looking forward to it. I have already started counting down the days (83 days left!) and my excitement will only continue to grow thanks to Mr. Ramsey, Ms. Kronenberg and all the sponsers that made this program possible for students like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment