Sunday, July 31, 2011

Jennifer Kuang

Hi Mr. Ramsey,

I'm sorry that I haven't been keeping in touch as well as I should have, but things have been taking off lately, in a good way. I am currently interning at the U.S. Department of Labor in Washington, D.C. through a fellowship program called International Leadership Foundation (ILF) that aims to help place Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders into government agencies in order to increase exposure of the API community to the political arena and civil service. Initially, I wanted to be placed in the U.S. Department of Education but I was informed that there were no openings for an intern. Nevertheless, I am learning a lot and I am absolutely loving it here.

Anyway, it sounds like ILC is continuing very well, and I am glad to hear it. In terms of advice for the newbies, I basically say the same thing every time: be yourself, take advantage of opportunities but don't try to tackle more than you can handle, and be open to new people and new experiences. If you don't know what you want to study, try things out, and eventually you WILL figure it out. I can't remember whether I've mentioned this already or not, but I have decided on a Psychology major, with a minor in Education. Next fall, I will be studying abroad in Beijing, China, which I am very excited for. All colleges and universities have their own programs and resources, and if there is something that you want to get involved in, it will most likely be available to you. Sometimes, you just have to do a little digging. I think most of all, however, is to take it all in and not take anything for granted. I cannot believe that I am already halfway done with college, and sometimes, I wish I had taken more time to really appreciate the campus around me so that it isn't too much of a blur as it is now. There will definitely be stressful times where you deem that it is more important to study for an exam, but take a break once in a while to really get to know your peers. Here in D.C. I am starting to realize how different it is when you know people who know other people - networking, they call it, which is a complicated word and concept, and this really starts in college. In all of the various conferences and speaker panels I have attended in DC, everyone has said the same. Other than that, I think college is a place where each of you can truly find yourself if you allow that to happen. It is a time of self-realization, and I heartily agree with those who say that it is one of the best times of your life.

Good luck!

Jennifer Kuang
Stanford University | Class of 2013
B.A. Candidate | Psychology

No comments:

Post a Comment