Sunday, October 11, 2009

Yohanna Pepa -- Yale Workshop Feedback

Good evening,

I apologize for not replying earlier--I haven't been on the computer for the past few days due to music theory class, piano lessons, marching band practice, forensics, an orthodontic appointment, and a youth commission meeting. I am, however, glad to share my thoughts about Monday night right now.

The Yale writing workshop at ECHS provided me with a great deal of insight, which is especially useful to me because for the next few months, I am stuck in the intimidating and laborious realm of college applications. Mr. Richardson not only gave us students detailed tips of what to do and not to do when writing our personal statements, but also presented us with actual case studies. We analyzed three essays that focused on the same topic, science, but contained different scopes and writing styles. As we actively participated in discussing the essays, Mr. Richardson explained elements important to admission officers and why one essay made the cut but the other two didn't. These specific tips from a seasoned Yale admission officer have given me a clear sense of the direction I should take as I finish constructing the most important piece of writing of my high school career.

The writing workshop benefitted me greatly in other ways as well. Yale is at the top of my college list. My two weeks over the summer have confirmed this. On Monday night, I had the unbelievable opportunity of talking to Mr. Richardson, the man who reads the Northern California Yale applications, about applying to Yale. I asked him about applying early action, because I hadn't been sure if it would increase my chances of getting in. He told me that if Yale's my first choice I should go for it, and now, I'm definitely doing so.

I'm very thankful to Ms. Larson and Ivy League Connection for organizing this wonderful event. It made a huge difference for me, and I'm sure it impacted all of my other peers in attendance as well.

Best regards,

Yohanna Pepa

No comments:

Post a Comment