Thursday, August 2, 2012

Justine Betschart

Hello ILC!

My name is Justine Betschart, and I am a rising junior at UCLA. I have written a few emails regarding my experience at UCLA, so I hope I don't sound too repetitive! During my first 2 years, I lived on-campus in residential dorms. This experience was invaluable. In the dorms, I met some of my best friends and gained a lot of independence. If I can recommend anything to young ILC students, it is to experience dorming!

As for student life, UCLA's campus is filled with thousands of determined, sociable people. It's a wonderful balance that I feel I have also achieved by prioritizing my academics and social life. Of course you are at school to obtain a valuable degree and obtain important networking skills, but without essential social skills, you can't get too far post-graduation. So make sure you strike a healthy balance between your academics and social life.

Lastly, academics. During my first year, I changed my major from Environmental Science to Chemical Engineering. My workload is at times unbearable, but I knew what I was getting into when I submitted my change of major paperwork. My classes have exposed me to real-life engineering problems that I may experience in the workfield. I am 100% sure that I will be fully prepared for industry jobs in two years, thanks to the thorough, applicable teaching style of UCLA Engineering.

I hope my testimony has given you all a little insight into the life of a Bruin. I have absolutely no regrets with my decision to attend UCLA. The past two years have been the best years of my life, and I completely expect my last 2 years to be even greater. If anyone has questions regarding UCLA, engineering or anything at all, feel free to email me at jmbetschart@gmail.com.

Best,
Justine Betschart
University of California, Los Angeles
Class of 2014
Chemical Engineering, B.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment