Thursday, July 12, 2012

Megan Robb

Dear Charles Ramsey and ILC members, I have recently completed my first year at Denison University. This past year I have learned and experienced so many new things. One of the reasons that I decided to go out of state for college was so that I would become a stronger person. My first semester, I spent a lot of time finding which study spaces and methods worked best for me. I tried a lot of different places like my dorm room, the library, and a few different academic buildings. Once I found a study space that was best for me, studying became a lot less tedious and stressful. Along with finding a space, I was also honing in my studying skills. College turned out to be a lot harder than high school, so I needed to learn which study habits worked best for me. During my second semester I joined Kappa Kappa Gamma. When I first arrived at Denison I had no intention of joining a sorority, but after talking to a few of my friends, I decided to rush in the spring. I am extremely happy that I joined KKG because it allowed me to befriend so many great women that I would have otherwise not have had the opportunity to befriend. I have also been more involved with the school events, which I would have otherwise not participated in. Joining a Greek organization provides you with a family while in college and numerous connections once you are out of college. I also volunteered for Big Brothers Big Sisters. Volunteering gave me the satisfaction that I was making my lunch buddy’s day better. It is also a good idea to make sure that you do something that you enjoy for at least an hour a week. I really enjoy helping others, so this is the one thing that I set time aside for. I plan to continue to volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters in the coming semesters. You have probably heard this a million times, but time management is extremely important. Don’t take on more than you can handle. Take one thing at a time and be patient with yourself. It is not going to be as easy to get the good grades in college that you got in high school. With each semester you become more familiar with your study habits and therefore better able to handle your workload. I have heard from many that freshman year of college is often the hardest, so when the going gets tough, just remember that it will only get easier with each semester. Also never be afraid to talk to your professor. If you get work back that you aren’t happy with and want to know what you can do differently, go talk to your professor. This past semester I took a philosophy class with a professor that I was nervous to meet with, but once I met with him I got the feedback that I needed and I felt more comfortable talking with him. College can be stressful at times, but it is also filled with moments that you will hold on to and cherish for the rest of your lives. Good luck to those of you going off to college! Megan Robb De Anza Class of 2011 Denison Class of 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment